This position is with the Wayne County Sheriff's Office. A Correctional Officer assists with securing and overseeing the care and well-being of inmates housed in a correctional facility. Performs related duties as required.
- Assisting with securing and overseeing care and well-being of inmates.
- Monitoring inmate movement within a facility.
- Conducting searches of cells, inmates and visitors.
- Preparing reports.
- Submitting appropriate incident and disciplinary write-ups.
- Supervising inmate work assignments. Overseeing the feeding of inmates.
- Providing inmate security at hospitals, courts, and other assigned destinations.
- Assisting with inmate processing as needed.
- May transport inmates to various locations.
Working Environment/Physical Demands:
- Work involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress that require a range of safety and other precautions.
- Employee works in a correctional environment that requires physical stamina and exposure to hazardous and stressful situations.
- Employees may be required to work varying shifts and weekends and must be able to defend themselves or others against physical attack.
- High School Diploma or state issued G.E.D.
- 21 years of age
- U.S. Citizen
- Valid "Class D" Driver's License may be required for some positions.
- Applicants who have served in any branch of the military MUST provide a copy of their DD214 long-form. Any discharge status other than "honorable" may preclude you from being considered for employment due to state law under T.C.A 41-4-144. - * If you received an Entry Level Separation or General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, you may be eligible to apply for a waiver. Provide all relevant documentation along with your DD214 and attach to online application.
- Per state law any applicant who has been convicted of, or has pleaded guilty to, or has entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or municipal ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances will not be considered for employment.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to compile and maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to physically restrain violent or unruly individuals.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work in a stressful and physically demanding environment.
Wayne County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national orgin or handicap status
Equal Opportunity Employer
Download the application, print, fill it out and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.