PATROL DEPUTY - WAYNE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
Responsible law enforcement work providing educational and law enforcement liaison services to the local school system and maintaining the safety and security of commercial businesses and private residences for the citizens of Wayne County. Activities associated with this classification primarily involves; providing security and routine patrols of school facilities, interacting with students, faculty and parents while school is in session and during special events, and providing educational sessions on law enforcement, the dangers of illegal drugs, etc. to school children. When school is not in session, deputies are responsible for the routine patrol duties.
Job responsibilities require specialized training in law enforcement curriculum intended for school children, experience in law enforcement, strong organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills and sufficient strength and agility to perform the physically demanding aspects of the job in a variety of weather conditions. Performance is evaluated by the Sheriff through review of the success of security and intervention activities performed for the school system, analysis of crime prevention and apprehension activities, ability to interact successfully with citizens, teachers, students, and other law enforcement/emergency personnel and expertise in related law enforcement and criminal apprehension disciplines.
Graduation from an accredited high school or possess GED at the time of application, minimum age of 21. Must be of high moral character. Discharged under honorable conditions from Armed Forces, if applicable. Will be screened for misdemeanor/felony record. (Must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to, or entered a plea of no contest to any felony charge or to any violation of federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances. Attend and successfully complete a State of Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) approved basic police training academy, or otherwise meet minimum certification requirements of the P.O.S.T. Commission. (PROOF OF EDUCATION IS REQUIRED).
1. Must be willing to work various shifts, holidays, and weekends.
2. Must be able to pass a physical ability test upon satisfying initial minimum qualifications.
3. Must be able to pass a written examination.
4. Must submit to and be able to successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation.
5. After receiving a contingent offer of employment, must be able to pass diagnostic and medical evaluation, and be subject to testing for substance abuse.
6. Must reside in Wayne County within one year of employment and must remain a resident of Wayne County.
7. Must be a US Citizen at the time of application.
Duties and Responsibilities
4. Executes and returns process orders of the courts of record.
5. Aids and attends the courts as assigned.
6. Takes charge of custody of prisoners in the County Jail.
7. Serves, executes, and processes legally issued writs.
8. Makes initial investigations in response to dispatched calls for service.
9. Reviews and polices high accident locations and gives citations to violators.
10. Performs all other related duties as assigned to fulfill the requirements placed upon the office of Sheriff by the Legislature of the State of Tennessee.
11. Performs related responsibilities as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of the rules and regulations applicable.
2. Knowledge of traffic safety, or the use, care and operation of the patrol vehicle under all conditions; and of the use and care of firearms and police liability.
3. Ability to master thorough on-the-job training during the first years of services.
4. Ability to deal with the public with courtesy and tact.
5. Ability to exercise good judgment and independent decision making.
6. Ability to use self-defense techniques.
Wayne County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Equal Opportunity Employer
Download the application, print, fill it out and email it to email@example.com.